St. Margaret of Scotland Church is situated on a large, beautiful landscape lot overlooking Bedford Basin in the north end of Halifax.
The parish had its beginning in 1959, shortly after the arrival of The Reverend George Stavert Tanton as parish priest at St. Mark’s Church. He had a vision for a new church to serve the people in the expanding North End.
On June 21, 1959 the first service of the new parish was held in the Mulgrave Park (now Highland Park) School. The sod turning for the church took place on May 23, 1960 at 7:30 in the evening. The church was constructed during 1960 with the first service held on Christmas Eve 1960. Service of Consecration conducted by Bishop Hatfield was on November 16, 1983.
The Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland continues to serve the community of the north end of Halifax with many of the parishioners who helped to build and establish the parish still attending.